Rob has lived at Buller Court since 2016. He has become more confident and is moving out to become independent. This is his story of growth.
Disability Support Worker
YOU is a registered charity that has been providing care, support and advice for over 30 years to vulnerable people, working across Hampshire, Dorset, West Sussex and the Isle of Wight to give them the tools and resources they need to live independent, secure and valued lives.
Fareham and Gosport
£18,533 per annum pro rata
The ideal Support Worker must:
• Have experience of supporting vulnerable people, especially those with a disability, through worked or lived/personal experience
• Have a valid driving licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes, as well as a willingness to travel
• Be flexible to work a variety of shifts, including evenings, weekends, bank holidays and sleep-ins.
As a Disability Support Worker you will provide an excellent and flexible support service to our clients as you are needed within our Disabilities Services across Fareham and Gosport. As such, it is essential that you are willing to travel, you have a valid driving licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes.
The essence of this role is listening to and understanding the people we work with, providing support and encouragement. Enabling our clients to carry out tasks that help them to live their daily lives, and supporting them to make life choices, achieve independence, and to accomplish their ambitions. Your working day could be very varied and may include supporting clients with their cooking and meal planning, going on shopping trips, undertaking some personal care as needed, aiding them to access the community as they’d like. This could include going out for a cuppa or for dinner, attending social events and activities with clients and even going to the cinema or a theatre show or two!
We also work with our clients to find employment or volunteering opportunities for them, access education at local colleges, as well as helping with budgeting support, and learning about maintaining their home. All in all, this is a very fulfilling role, working with clients who all enjoy the support of upbeat and friendly staff.
As a Disability Support Worker, you will need to be organised and flexible to meet the changing needs of the role. You will be professional and proactive in all that you do, encouraging and supportive of clients and colleagues alike. Due to the nature of this role, having experience with supporting vulnerable adults, especially those with a disability, is essential but this does not have to be from previous employment as lived and personal experiences are just as valuable.
To be a great Disability Support Worker, we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and has a positive outlook, with the ability to use initiative to support our clients. A good sense of humour and fun will help to make you a success in this service! YOU has a strong value base, striving to be person-centred, innovative, trustworthy, can-do and excellent at all times, so it is important that you are as passionate about these principles as we are.
If you choose to begin a career with our organisation, you are guaranteed:
- Competitive rates of pay and paid travel time, including a higher mileage rate for car sharing
- Enhanced annual leave entitlements, with the opportunity to buy and sell holiday
- Matched pension scheme contributions, plus Death in Service Benefit and salary sacrifice options
- Enhanced sick pay allowances and paid compassionate and emergency dependent leave
- Excellent and professionally certified training, as well as access to fully-funded apprenticeship programmes
- Real opportunities to develop in your profession
- Free health and wellbeing advice via a 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme
- Everything you need to carry out your role free of charge, which may include a mobile phone, safety equipment and other necessary technology, a uniform where applicable, and of course a nice cup of tea or coffee throughout your day
- Access to discounts across lots of your favourite stores and online shopping sites, as well as discounted bus travel on the First bus network
- A company that is committed to its employees, valuing their knowledge, creativity and flexibility
- The chance to work with amazing people
If you are successful during screening, you will be invited to an assessment and interview. Please note; we will select the first suitable applicants for assessment. Alternatively, please ring Adria Rabika on 07771943290 to find out more or to apply. You will be asked a few key questions to make sure that this is the right role for you and if so, you will be invited to an interview.