Rob has lived at Buller Court since 2016. He has become more confident and is moving out to become independent. This is his story of growth.
Domestic Abuse Support Worker
You First is the Hidden Violence and Abuse Service covering Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
£20,026pro rata plus £3,600pro rata R&R Allowance
This post is open to female applicants only as being female is deemed to be a genuine occupational requirement under Schedule 9, Paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010.
The ideal domestic violence and abuse worker will:
Health & Social Care qualification or equivalent to NVQ level 3 or equivalent work level experience
Experience supporting women, men and children who have been subject to domestic violence and abuse on 1:1 or group work basis
Experience and knowledge of safeguarding adults and children
Experience of completing and building on strengths, needs and risk assessments
Experience of responding calmly and effectively to people in crisis or emergency
Understanding of domestic violence and abuse issues affecting families
Knowledge of resources available in the community to increase health and wellbeing for children and families such as mental health services, substance misuse etc
Knowledge of Honour Based Violence, Forced Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation
Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings relating to Domestic Abuse
Knowledge of housing and welfare benefits including no recourse to public funds
Skilled at IT including excel and word, writing case studies, emails and reports
Ability to work client focused flexible hours, including evenings, nights as required and weekends and form part of an on call rota which may require night time call out
And who can:
Work in a fast paced environment, use own initiative and think creatively.
Provide practical and emotional support to individuals experiencing domestic violence and abuse
Show passion about working with men, women and children who have been subjected to domestic abuse.
YOU has a strong value base, striving to be person-centred, innovative, trustworthy, can-do and excellent at all times, so it is important that you are as passionate about these principles as we are.
You First Domestic Abuse Workers are part of a team providing practical and emotional support to individuals and families experiencing domestic abuse. As a Domestic Abuse Worker you will work with individuals, parents and others to develop and deliver a range of effective interventions and with partners to ensure a whole family approach, where indicated. This may be via proactive "in-reach" support to people living in refuge and outreach, move on and resettlement support, providing a flexible, trauma informed, client centred risk led service.
- You will co-produce full risk assessments with the client and ensure their needs and circumstances are reflected within all safety and support plans, carrying out property surveys and safety planning where identified
- You will provide 1:1 support to enable the client to understand the impact of DVA
- You will work with parents to improve their parenting capacity, increase health and wellbeing, develop strengths, confidence and abilities of all family members to support living their life in a positive and safe way
- You will work closely with other professionals and local community groups and be the named contact for the family
- Workers should be violence and abuse free in their own lives, if this is not the case then please do not put yourself forward for selection
- You have the ability to work client focused flexible hours, including evenings, nights as required and weekends and form part of an on call rota which may require night time call out
- You are a car driver with willingness to work across the county and to travel beyond occasionally for meetings and training
If you choose to begin a career with our organisation, you are guaranteed:
- Competitive rates of pay and paid travel time, including a higher mileage rate for car sharing
- Enhanced annual leave entitlements, with the opportunity to buy and sell holiday
- Matched pension scheme contributions, plus Death in Service Benefit and salary sacrifice options
- Enhanced sick pay allowances and paid compassionate and emergency dependent leave
- Excellent and professionally certified training, as well as access to fully-funded apprenticeship programmes
- Real opportunities to develop in your profession
- Free health and wellbeing advice via a 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme
- Everything you need to carry out your role free of charge, which may include a mobile phone, safety equipment and other necessary technology, a uniform where applicable, and of course a nice cup of tea or coffee throughout your day
- Access to discounts across lots of your favourite stores and online shopping sites, as well as discounted bus travel on the First bus network
- A company that is committed to its employees, valuing their knowledge, creativity and flexibility
- The chance to work with amazing people
You First is the Hidden Violence and Abuse Service covering Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. This innovative service works with victims of domestic abuse, stalking, sexual crime and children and young people. Our services aim to support the whole family where we are able.
The service offers a variety of support and interventions including outreach, refuge, target hardening, court support, and recovery groups.