Coercive control became an offence on 29 December, 2015. Many of us have experienced a form of coercive control but haven’t realised it. What separates one of the actions we’ll look at below, with it being coercive, is why it’s done. If it’s done in order to...
Independent Domestic Violence Advocate – Isle of Wight
This is an exciting role for the right person to be an integral team member in the development of a multi-skilled team delivering the integrated service across the Isle of Wight.
ISLE OF WIGHT
The ideal Independent Domestic Violence Advocate will: -
• Be confident when advocating on behalf of all victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse
• Be able to adjust their practice to deliver a truly individualised intervention that is based on risk
• Be able to work calmly with clients who are in crisis
• Be passionate about supporting clients and ensuring their safety and that of their family remains paramount
• Be willing and able to engage in nationally accredited training and prepared to work in their own time to evidence their practice and succeed in their training accreditation
• Have experience of working in partnership
This is an exciting role for the right person to be an integral team member in the development of a multi-skilled team delivering the integrated service across the Isle of Wight. The role of the IDVA is to work closely with clients experiencing high risk domestic violence and abuse and, at time, engaging with their wider family and children. They work from the point of crisis to provide high quality advocacy and support and engage with a multi-agency risk-based framework that has been developed with partners. The IDVA will represent the service and, more importantly, the views of clients at Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC) and other meetings as required.
This role will require a person with skills and experience to be able to deliver an excellent risk-based intervention, following completion of a nationally recognised risk assessment. You will be able to work independently designing individual support based on the wishes and needs of the clients – you will meet required Key Performance Indicators and be a skilled communicator with a desire to take your practice to the next level. You will be passionate and confident to advocate on behalf of each person you work with, accurately sharing their views and, when required, challenge institutionalised victim blaming language and practice. You will support the manager and wider team and use your skills, knowledge and experience to develop a service that meets national accreditation levels.
You will have an understanding and commitment to a wide range of values that underpin this work including being non-judgemental, person centred, trauma informed and gender responsive and be able to demonstrate these values to your team.
You will have the ability to engage with, and support your colleagues to engage with, victims and survivors ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to engage with your support to gain the knowledge, skills and learning needed to live the life they want.
You will hold values that inspire a client led approach and be self-motivating, reflective and have a positive response to challenging situations.
If you choose to begin a career with our organisation, you are guaranteed:
- Competitive rates of pay and paid travel time, including a higher mileage rate for car sharing
- Enhanced annual leave entitlements, with the opportunity to buy and sell holiday
- Matched pension scheme contributions, plus Death in Service Benefit and salary sacrifice options
- Enhanced sick pay allowances and paid compassionate and emergency dependent leave
- Excellent and professionally certified training, as well as access to fully-funded apprenticeship programmes
- Real opportunities to develop in your profession
- Free health and wellbeing advice via a 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme
- Everything you need to carry out your role free of charge, which may include a mobile phone, safety equipment and other necessary technology, a uniform where applicable, and of course a nice cup of tea or coffee throughout your day
- Access to discounts across lots of your favourite stores and online shopping sites, as well as discounted bus travel on the First bus network
- A company that is committed to its employees, valuing their knowledge, creativity and flexibility
- The chance to work with amazing people